The Republic of India is a country in Asia. It is at the center of South Asia. India has more than 1.2 billion (1,210,000,000) people, which is the second largest population in the world. It is the seventh largest country in the world by area and the largest country in South Asia. It is also the most populous democracy in the world.It’s bordered on the north by the world’s highest mountain chain, the Himalayas, and its peninsular south surrounded by the Indian Ocean. Apart from its ancient monuments and scenic beauty and tourism potential, India prides in its world acclaimed ancient universities of Takshshila, Nalanda, and gurukuls which were educational centres of excellence. Being world’s largest democracy, India has the second largest system of education in the world. “It is said that if you have travelled the world then you have seen half the world, and if you have visited only the Indian subcontinent, you have seen the whole world!”
India is one of the world’s oldest civilizations and one of the most populated countries in the world.The Indian culture, often labeled as an amalgamation of several various cultures, spans across the Indian Subcontinent and has been influenced and shaped by a history that is several thousand years old. They have been credited with shaping much of Indian philosopy, literarture, architecture, art and music. Over the centuries, there has been significant fusion of cultures between Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims(Sunni, Shia, Sufi), Jains, Sikhs and various tribal populations in India. India has an interesting and long history of customs and traditions especially when it comes to hospitality. Indian hospitality has set the standards for the world. Infact the Indian society has long believed in the dictum “Atithi Devo Bhavah” i.e. ´Visitor is Like God´.
Religion in India is as diverse as its geography and culture. It comprises of world’s most ancient traditions and beliefs. India is the birth place of four of the world’s major religious traditions; namely Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism. India is a multi faith, secular society in which everyone has the right to religious freedom. The fact that Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Christianity and Islam all exist within the country today is a testament to it.
From time immemorial, India has been a centre for learning par excellence capturing the attention of the world. Thousands of years ago, great scholars used to teach through the scriptures in this ancient land of learning and erudition. A variety of subjects such as philosophy, religion, medicine, literature, drama and arts, astrology, mathematics and sociology were taught and masterpieces on these subjects have been written. The first book of mankind, (Rigveda) and the two largest ancient epics flowed from the Indian pens. The zeal for learning and erudition made India produce scientists of the like of Aryabhatt ,Bhaskara, Brahmadeva , Brahmagupta , Charaka , Baudhayana , Halayudha and Jayadeva.
India is a multi-lingual country where every region in has its own language and dialect. The official language of India is Hindi. English, a subsidiary language as per the Indian Constitution, is the major language of trade and business. The constitution has defined no language as national language. Every state and union territory has its own official languages, and the constitution also recognizes in particular 21 “scheduled languages”
Facts about India
- India’s higher education system is the third largest in the world
- India is the second fastest growing major economies in the world
- India has the world’s second largest labour force
- Second most favourable outsourcing destination with seven of the world’s top 15 technology outsourcing companies of Indian base
- India is known for its highly skilled work force in engineering and financial services
- World’s second fastest growing automobile industry
- World’s fifteenth largest importer and eighteenth largest exporter
- The fourth largest by purchasing power parity
- The Indian film industry is the largest in the world
- India is The ORIGINATOR of:World’s First Ever Universities – Takshila, Nalanda& Kanchipuram, Zero(Numerical Digit), Value of “Pi”, Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, Decimal System, Place Value System, AYURVEDA(earliest school of medicine known to mankind)
- INDIA has the Third Largest Education System in the World with:Affordable and holistic education, Globally Recognized Degree, Wide choice of programmes, World-class institutions and faculty, International exposure, Friendly environment, Amicable and Safe set ups, Ample Job Opportunities, Focus on the new knowledge economy